07 April 2015

Bernique in the men's room

with all the interest in "Mad Men" there's also been memories of La Fonda Del Sol. this legendary restaurant opend in the Time-Life Building in 1960. it was designd by Alexander Girard with furnishings by Charles & Ray Eames. & a Google search just informd me that the men's room featured a mural by Bernique Longley (1923-1999).

Bernique was one of Santa Fe's legendary painters. & I was lucky to have known her in her final years. shortly after meeting actress Sally Kemp she invitd me to dinner   saying she had a friend I must meet. that friend was Bernique & we liked each other immediately.

since her death I regrettd that I didn't have a photograph with her. just the other day I was looking thru my albums for something else & encounterd this:




I had completely forgotten abt this long-ago party but there I am (in the rocker) & there is Bernique -- in between art historian Richard Trump & actor John Ericson.  we're not side by side but at least I have this one document.

of course I have Longleys in most rooms of my house. there's a painting I commissiond in the bedroom. one of her chickens in the kitchen. & a small goddess sculpture in the guest room.

I haven't been able to find an image of her La Fonda Del Sol mural. maybe someone somewhere will share that. until then I'll have to imagine Jon Hamm sharing space with a Longley (even if that is only film fiction).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

looks like all are have a wonderful time. great memories I bet. glad u found this little treasure.
gary

Joe said...

Just hung a Bernique Longley painting in my dinning room. Boy with rooster 1954. I'm in love with it. Doing research on the artist and ran into your blog. I'm curious to know more about her, what else do you have to share?

Alex Gildzen said...

there is a bio in the works. she was a neighbor of Laura Gilpin who often photographd her & a friend of novelist Mark Harris.

Joe said...

Great, keep me posted!